BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs
The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks and Giants of the Ocean - Susan Casey The Wave is an action packed adventure book, much like Jon Krakauer's books, it will leave you breathless. There are lots of interesting facts about waves in general. I have lived in Huntington Beach, CA, for over 20 years and spend a few hours each week at the beach watching surfers at dog beach. I am always amazed at their actions and fearlessness. The waves, at best 10 feet, are nowhere near the monster waves the Laird Hamilton surfs at 50 to 75 feet. I know several people who have heli-surfed and I have always thought they were crazy. This is not a sport for the weak.Casey gets inside the mind of Hamilton and although I am not fond of overly descriptive books, I wanted to read every detail. She describes the sound, texture and colors so vividly that you feel you are there. I am most impressed with the pace of the book, you won't want to put this down. There are several amazing pictures in the center of the book as well. If you have any reluctant male readers in high school, this book of extreme surfing should capture their attention.

Orange Is the New Black