BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs
Revolution: The Year I Fell in Love and Went to Join the War - Deb Olin Unferth Picture yourself 18 years old, a freshman in college and on your own for the first time in your life. With your first taste of freedom, you fall for the wrong boy and run off to South America because he thinks it is a good idea. Deb Olin Unferth does exactly this. I kept asking myself, why would anyone do this? Well, Deb answers like a typical unsure 18 year old with this memoir. There are some seriously funny moments in this book, but I was a bit frustrates in a couple of stories where they just kind of ending with "I forget" or "can't remember", but then I realized I couldn't remember anything from my time as an 18 year old except that I thought I knew everything.Her revolutionary period didn't involve fighting but lots of short stints of being domestic help since some one needs to help the kids displaced by war. Her recounting of helping in an orphanage is truly inspired. She decides that she will help the kids learn to speak English and farm. All noble ideals except the she doesn't know enough Spanish to teach them English and the kids know more than her about gardening. She buys flower seeds instead of vegetables. This is a very wonderful read for anyone who wished they ran away to rebel, but didn't have the guts. I received this book from the publisher at no expense in exchange for my honest review.

Orange Is the New Black