BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs
In Stitches - Anthony Youn I have read several books about students and their path to becoming a doctor, but the one Anthony Youn wrote about his path is by far the best of the bunch. I read this is one night and didn't want the stories to end! I am now demanding a sequel about his stories, both heartwarming and humorous in his next journey of being a plastic surgeon. I had no idea he was on so many television programs, but now that I know his name and looked at a few You Tube videos, I am going to start checking out this personable physician. My favorite story in the book is about why he wanted to become a doctor and how his answer never strayed from the fact that he wanted to help people and get laid. Yes, he actually said that and I laughed out loud. He thought that being a doctor would make him more attractable to women! Youn's thoughts cover a broad range of thoughts, like what it is like to be a real minority, have parents that make you do more than you think you are capable of and the importance of having a sense of humor. His sense of humor is evident throughout the book and he likes to poke fun at himself. I was really impressed that his path to becoming a plastic surgeon was built upon his own triumph of having surgery to correct his jaw which did not stop growing and caused a massive underbite. The fact that he understands deformity leads him to connect with his patients on a personal level and makes him that much better a doctor. There is truly a "Scrubs" type element when he writes about his internship and school years and it is amazing that anyone in this country ever becomes a doctor at all with all of the long hours they endure.

Orange Is the New Black