BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs
Summer Friends - Holly Chamberlin Delphine lives in a beach town that fills up with tourists every summer, most of those are wealthy. She meets Maggie and they develop a fast friendship even though there are gulfs between the two, they share everything each summer as they grow. Now both are heading for middle age and they meet again at age 49. Del quit school and returned home to Maine to work for the family business while Maggie marries, has a successful career and children. Del and Maggie lose touch with each other and only at Maggie's insistence do they reconnect. The story alternates between the two growing up together during summers in Maine and their current lives.I know everyone has a friendship like this one, where a move can sometimes cause two best friends to lose track with each other. Sometimes there is a falling out, sometimes geography plays an important role, but a lot of times, social conditions rule where life takes you. The girls who share everything growing up find themselves with little in common as adults. I thought Del was a quiet individual always trying to be responsible to her family, putting them before herself, while Maggie was a force of nature, knowing what she wants and how to get it. Part of me was upset with Del for not pushing a bit harder in her life, but at the same time, I thought she was right where she wanted to be. This is just one of those books that is a perfect summer read that is still thought provoking and will have you thinking about your own friends.

Orange Is the New Black