BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs
The Traitor's Wife - Kathleen Kent Originally titled, The Wolves of Andover, The Traitor's Wife is a prequel to The Heretic's Daughter. The new title is more befitting since the wolves are a minor detail throughout the story. This is the story of Martha Allen and her romance with Thomas Carrier during colonial times in the newly colonized America. If you have read the Crucible and know anything about the Salem witch trials, you are already familiar with bits of this tale. The author is a decedent of the Carrier family. Martha is sharped tongued and strong willed, characteristics undesirable as wife. Thomas is actually strong enough to deal with her and finds himself intrigued with this strong woman. Their daughter Sarah, is the main focus of The Heretic's Wife.While this could be considered a romance, it is much more than that. The historical background is astounding and brought to life through the love of this subject by Kent. It is written in period language which at first bothered me and then I really got into the story and it really took off. I couldn't stop reading until I was finished. If you enjoy Philippa Gregory or Alison Weir, you are sure to love this one!

Orange Is the New Black