BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs
Fat Is the New 30: The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Coping with (the crappy parts of) Life - Jill Conner Browne MY THOUGHTSABSOLUTELY LOVED ITThis was the right book at the right time. I have never laughed so much at the images described in this book. I also haven't cried over a dog story like this either. My book group has read her books in the past and I hadn't revisited them in a long time. No matter if you have read her work before or not, this book of easy to read essays will have you craving more just like potato chips. I read this in one night and will have to go dig out my other books to reread again. I adored the little "Southernisms" sprinkled through out the book. I finally got one term "Bless Your Heart" cleared up here. This can be very derogatory, especially the inflections given to each syllable. Not being from the South, nor ever lived there, I never really understood this phrase. I do now. It can pretty much mean "you are a moron." But I don't want to get ugly. Another wonderful turn of phrase that again sums up a plethora of feelings and also is a four letter word that you could actually use.Even though this is a lighthearted read, there are some serious issues raised. Conner Browne honestly discusses the loss of her mother with dignity and humor. Sometimes the only way to deal with loss like this is through seeing something funny in a dire situation. I applaud her ability to let the public know what she had to deal with. Oh, and to read her words about how she has weight issues was another touching point. The use of denying everything is something I will always remember! There are lots of empowering words within her jests.

Orange Is the New Black