BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs
Hounded: The Lowdown on Life from Three Dachshunds - Matt Ziselman MY THOUGHTSABSOLUTELY LOVED IT....LIKE YOU WERE EXPECTING LESS? Zen and the Art of Dachshund Maintenance.Matt Ziselman had discovered the magical properties of owning a dachshund, or rather, being OWNED by a dachshund. Well, in his case, three, because you know, dachshunds can be addicting. After suffering the loss of both his parents by age 26, several dead-end jobs, despair and depression, he finally meets the girl of his dreams and also gets the dog that is required by every happy family. In his case, this dog is Baxter, a standard size black and tan dachshund with all of the graces and goodness that is found in this breed. Baxter quickly leads to Molly, a mini, that in spite of her size, rules the pack and Maya, a rescue from a breeder. Maya is the most stoic dachshund I have ever read about.We follow the author through life lessons with the help of his dachshunds. He discovers that you can learn a lot from dogs, especially ones so close to the ground. Several of the experiences he has with his pups are ones I can totally relate to. My favorite tale was the bat. With woods behind their house, Maya comes back to the house proudly displaying her catch: a live bat. I have personally dealt with my dachshund catching mice, birds and lizards, but I would really freak out if my dog brought back a bat, much like the author and his family. Of course, there are the humorous stories of the dogs and their bodily functions, both internal and external, and dachshunds have these quirks in spades. It is a good thing they are easily washed in a sink since they tend to roll in stuff frequently. As Ziselman and his dogs grow together, they also develop that special bond that can only come from catering to a small dog. You learn that they rule the house, their wish is your command and you won't have it any other way. I really enjoyed the humor as well as the little proverbs at the end of each chapter that appear as Dachshund Life Lessons. This is a must buy for dog lovers, particularly those who smile when they hear some one yell, "WIENER DOG!".

Orange Is the New Black