BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs

A Dog's Purpose

A Dog's Purpose - W. Bruce Cameron This book is one of the best dog books I have ever read and I read almost everything that has a dog on the cover, in the title or description. A Dog's Purpose is almost a religious experience where the dog in question goes through reincarnation and grows through each lifetime. I just adored it and found myself near tears as well as feeling so hopeful that this dog did indeed make a difference in the lives of many. Cameron nailed Toby/Bailey/Ellie/Buddy's voice and developed that voice as the dog "matured" through each life.The book starts off with the undeveloped voice of Toby and while Toby's life isn't that long, it really sets up the whole point of the book. I think that some people will have trouble with Toby since this section of the book is really sad and short. Stick with it because once you start reading about how Toby morphs into Bailey, the action really starts and only gets better. The next lives will have you turning the pages to see what happens next. I really hope that the author will write more books like this. I think you will enjoy this if you like Merrill Markoe and Garth Stein.

Orange Is the New Black