BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs

Amaryllis in Blueberry

Amaryllis in Blueberry - Christina Meldrum All I can say is WOW! This book reminds me when I first read The Help and The Secret Life of Bees and has a very strong balance of characters that will make you think. This is going to be THE book for book groups this year and one that I can't stop thinking about or telling people about.The story revolves around 4 sisters and their mother and the father is the catalyst for their actions. Each girl tells her own story and relates the events through their own eyes while interweaving the story between them. Seena, the mother, is the cornerstone and finds ways to intertwine Greek mythology while relating her own history. Each of the Mary's, Grace, Catie and Tessa are the core while Amaryllis, while still a Mary, is not truly one of the family. Each one is so distinct and the plot so well developed that I hate even saying one word about it because you must read this book!Just Added: The ideal of all the girls named Mary is not that uncommon. My French - Indian Grandmother was one of seven girls all named Mary and of course they went by their middle names. From what I remember, it was a Catholic thing. There are two girls in my family, but I am the only Mary.

Orange Is the New Black