BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs

Dreaming Awake

Dreaming Awake - Gwen Hayes MY THOUGHTSLOVED IT*** possible slight spoilers***Theia is miraculously recalled from Under by her besties, Ame, Donny, Gabe and Miss Varney. Varney is a psychic and plays a larger roll in this installment. He helps bring her back tthrough the efforts of Ame's newly discovered spell casting talents. Back in Serendipity Falls, Theia tries to resume her teen life, but finds her remote father even more distracted and she finds that the deal she made with Haden's mother may have even deeper repercussions than she thought possible. While the blood following through her now includes a bit from Mara (Haden's nightmare of a mother), it also includes a bit of her power. This leads to some interesting plot twists later in the story. Welcome to my Nightmare should have been the title of this book since all of Theia's friends are now involved in her life for better or worse and they are all exposed to Haden's mother just by being her friend. Theia finds herself with a need to feed on souls like Haden and doesn't realize she is doing it until Haden discovers her unwittingly drawing upon others. Some of her classmates are suffering from some weird illness that Theia believes Haden has something to do with, while the fact that Mara has come calling on her father makes the situation even more dire. It is a severe test of time to see if Theia and her friends can help the others at school while they are all pulled Under to face their fears.I think I actually liked this one better than the first one which surprised me a great deal since I really loved the first one. It was so nice to see Theia really come into her own after her mousiness in the Falling Under. There was less of a romance and a lot more action, some of it a little horrifying. There is a lot more Ame and Donny in this one which helps quicken the pace and add more comical elements. I really don't think I can wait for the next installlment since this one left me hanging a bit. There are some sexual situations, alcohol use and some horrifying moments, so it is best suited to teens.

Orange Is the New Black