BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs

Starstruck

Starstruck - Cyn Balog Do looks matter? Are they worth compromising your life in order to appear as something you are not? These ideas are explored in Starstruck. I read this one straight through and really enjoyed it. I thought Gwendolyn "Dough" is very likable and sympathetic although she doesn't make you feel sorry for her. She knows she has gained weight and doesn't look like she did when her best friend, Wish, moves to California. Wish has his own secrets and feels as unloved as Dough does, except he has a secret about his appearance. Having a gorgeous, thin, younger sister, Evie, doesn't help her self esteem either.Dough is constantly berating herself for her weight and when Christian comes to work in the bakery with her, she finds he doesn't talk down to her and treats her as a normal person. I think Dough takes quite a bit away from her talks with Christian even though he is a minor character. He helps Dough solve the mystery around her boyfriend. Things get weird when Wish moves back to New Jersey from California and looks like a movie star. He doesn't seem to notice that Dough has changed. Dough flirts with the popular group through Wish and finds that they are as shallow as she has imagined.The ending caught me a bit off guard and it is pretty magical. I think this is best suited for teens over 14 and there are mentions of sexual situations, underage drinking and sexual situations although nothing graphic. I received this book at no charge from Book It Forward in exchange for my honest review.

Orange Is the New Black