BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs

Love Story

Love Story - Jennifer Echols ***spoiler alert - don't read the last paragraph!***Oh how I wish I had read the blurb before I read the book. I must have skipped the first page or something since I was really confused and didn't think this book was for me since it seemed like a generic romance novel. Princess Bookie told me to stick with and you know she was right. I continued to read, smiled a bunch, laughed a bit and cried some. I still can't put my finger on why this book hit me so emotionally, but it really did touch a nerve. I really think that it is Jennifer Echols style of writing that gets her point across without forcing it--it just flows naturally. I last read Forget You and although that was my favorite book by this author, I think that this more grown up book has now taken my top spot.Now to make this as spoiler free as possible since this review is way before the release date. Erin has lost her inheritance after sticking to her principles and studying writing instead of business as her grandmother wishes. She stands to lose her family's horse farm as well as the money which is the only life she has ever known. The twist here is that Hunter, her crush from junior high, has taken her place and is given her inheritance.Fast forward to a university in New York where Erin is working as a barrista and living in a closet to to supplement her scholarship. She is happily making a new life for herself without wealth and is doing fine until Hunter shows up in her advanced writing class.Pay attention to those first pages of the story since they set the stage for the rest of the book. I had to go back and reread them. There are some really priceless passages and interactions between Hunter and Erin. If you are looking for some drama, this book has it all, including a few swoon worthy moments. Hunter is keeping secrets from Erin and those secrets come back to bite him. Of course there are a few twists and turns to the happy ending (ok, I spoiled it now). This is perfect summer reading!

Orange Is the New Black