BookHounds

Books, Gardens, Dogs

The Mistress's Revenge

The Mistress's Revenge - Tamar Cohen Sally and Clive are having an affair and Clive suddenly breaks it off to reconcile with his wife. Written in the form of a journal, the story chronicles her stalking of Clive and his family while she falls deeper into a depression. Sally is not some single woman. she has a partner and children of her own, so she should have started devoting her time to them, but finds herself totally consumed with Clive's life. Not to say that she is a hateful or hurtful person, but it is easy to see how this witty and intelligent woman is driven towards insanity. It reminded me a bit of Fatal Attraction with immense amounts of angst and delusions, but without the bunny at the end. This is something you won't be able to put down and it can be creepy beyond belief. The ending completely surprise me and was perfect for this story.I really thought that Cohen did a very smart thing in telling this story by using a diary type format. Although a bit one-sided, you get a clear picture of exactly what Sally is thinking and with the encouragement of her therapist, she goes back to figure out what happened to her and why. As she digs deeper you can see the crazy come to the surface. I really enjoyed this romantic thriller and I'm not really sure if that is the right category, but it was thrilling to me! If you like James Patterson or Lisa Scottoline, I am sure you will enjoy this one as well.

Orange Is the New Black